2017 Gathering in Ballaghaderreen
THE 2017 TOWEY GATHERING will take place in Durkin’s, The Square, Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon, Ireland on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 25, 26, 27 August, 2017. All Toweys and spelling variants, their descendents and partners are encouraged to join our Gathering.
Durkin’s website is www.Durkins.ie and the International telephone is 011-353-9498-60305. Durkin’s is located in the heart of Ballaghaderreen at The Square.
Most of us with the TOWEY surname and variant spellings have our family roots in the area around Ballaghaderreen, Co. Mayo, Ireland, but then the British realignment of 1898 placed Ballaghaderreen in Co. Roscommon, Ireland.
|Urgently needed are:
New Chairperson organizer, a volunteer. Contact Mike Towey at email@example.com
New Webmaster volunteer using WordPress – for details email Bill Towey at firstname.lastname@example.org
THE TOWEY GATHERING
—– A printable schedule is at 2017 Bifold Schedule.
8:00 pm — Explore the pubs and nightlife in Ballaghaderreen
* Durkin’s Bar, Restaurant and Accommodation, The Square
* Fiddlers Elbow, The Square
* Carroll’s Bar, The Square
* Thomas Mannion, The Square
* Molly’s, Market Street
* Spels Bar, Church Street (Noel Spelmans)
* Meet You Here (Coffee House and Art Gallery), Cathedral Street
* Solans Bar, Main Street
* Sheila’s Bar, New Street
* Thomas Creaton, New Street
Friday Afternoon 25 August
2:00 pm to 5:00 pm — Walking tour of Ballaghaderreen sights conducted by Clan Taoiseach, Mike Towey. Walking tour begins at Durkin’s, The Square.
Friday Evening 25 August
7:00 pm to 8:30 pm — Towey Business Meeting upstairs in Durkin’s
* Annual General Meeting
* Election of executive committee for 2018 to 2020
* Choose place and date for next Gathering with consideration given to 19, 20, 21 June 2020.
* Haemochromatosis Awareness Presentation (Haemochromatosis affects 1 in 5 Irish)
* Sign up for Saturday coach tour of local townlands where Toweys lived
8:30 pm to 11:30 pm — Explore the dark side of Ballaghaderreen, pubs and nightlife
Saturday Morning 26 August
11:00 am — Memorial Mass for deceased Toweys
* Celebrated at the Derrinacartha Church by Fr Tommy Towey.
* Email Clan Secretary Caroline Hassett Power at email@example.com to place a Mass petition in memory of a family member.
* Travel directions may be viewed at Route to Derrinacartha Church
Saturday Afternoon 26 August
2:00 pm to 4:00 pm — Coach tour of local townlands where Toweys lived
* Conducted by Clan Taoiseach, Mike Towey who lived in Attaintaggart.
* Coach tours depart in front of Durkin’s.
* Price for adults is €15-00 and €8-00 for children under 14.
* Coach route may be seen at Coach Route and 1901 Census
Historical information and pictures of the area are available on websites www.ballaghaderreen.com and www.ballaghaderreen.ws.
* Cover charge is €5-00 per person or €10-00 per family.
* Welcome by Clan Chieftain, Mike Towey.
* Music by Johnny Towey Band from Cloonfada, Aghadevin, Kilkelly
* Ceilidhe dancing including step dancing, set dancing and sean nor dancing.
* Raffle of prizes donated by attendees.
View the types of Irish dancing at www.youtube.com and use the search block for step dancing ireland, set dancing ireland, Sean Nor dancing and Siege of Ennis dancing.
Each family is asked to bring an item for the raffle, something typical of your part of the world. The raffle is a key means of covering the cost of the room rental, entertainment and other miscellaneous expenses. The raffle will be conducted during the Saturday social. Please remember most of us are traveling with suitcases
Brusna National School’s historical book “The Story of Brusna” will be sold at the Saturday Evening Social. Price € 15. It has historical stories and photos plus student names from 1873 to 1927, including Toweys.
Tom Coppinger will take videos of our Saturday Ceili Social and produce a DVD of our festivities. Place your order with him on Saturday night, price € 20. Or contact TomCoppinger@Eircom.net or at 0872255408 / (09498)60481
Sunday Morning, 27 August
11:00 am to 12:30 pm — Genealogy Discussion in upstairs small room
* Towey ancestor chart display and discussion as provided by participants
* Genealogy resources (Ireland and elsewhere)
* Posters and slide presentation of historical nature
Slan go foill