The 2010 Towey Clan Gathering was held in Durkin’s, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon,
Ireland, on 14 – 16 May 2010. It was a remarkable success, despite travel delays from Mt Eyjafjallajökull’s Icelandic volcano ash. Over 100 families and friends attended from US, UK, Britain, Canada and Ireland. The success of the event was due to the dedication of Clan committee members, under the leadership of Chairperson, Mike Towey, of Dublin, Ireland. The program is posted at 2010 Clan Schedule.
Coach Tours, 14 & 15 May
Coach Tours Friday and Saturday afternoons brought passengers to ancestral lands and other areas of interest. Mike Towey, Taoiseach, who was born and raised in the area, narrated the trip in and around Co Roscommon, Co Mayo and Co Sligo which included:
To view or print a copy of the tour route, click Coach Route Map.
View the 2010 Coach Tour Photos.
Friday Evening, 14 May
Friday evening an informal get-together was held at Durkin’s where we greeted, renewed friendships and exchanged experiences over a pint or two.
Saturday Morning, 15 May
Mass Celebrated for Deceased Toweys
Mass was celebrated for all deceased Toweys in Derrinacartha Church at 11:00am by Father Tommy Towey, assisted by Deacon Tony Towey of Illinois. Other participants were Mike Towey, Dublin -1st reading and Eileen Collins, Birmingham, UK – 2nd reading. Fr Tommy inspired us with his heart-felt homily about our beloved ancestors and with his hymn selection. Within the church three Stations of the Cross are dedicated to Toweys.
View the 2010 Memorial Mass Photos.
Saturday Afternoon, 15 May
Family history research was led by Dick Towey, Clan Genealogist for several hours both Saturday and Sunday to assist with individual family history research. This was a busy room with many people coming expressly to locate their ancestors. It was fascinating watching members attend to their family charts, compare notes, discuss family stories and traditions.
View the 2010 AGM and Genealogy Meetings Photos.
Saturday Evening, 15 May
Ceili Dance Social
The Saturday night social began at 8 p.m. with Secretary Janet Towey Mann assisted by Norrie Sullivan, accepting registrations from attendees.
- Chairperson Mike Towey warmly welcomed everyone to the festivities and acknowledged those involved in planning the Gathering.
- Johnny Towey Band played traditional Irish music, encouraging song and dance to which everyone eagerly responded. The musicians were Johnny (father playing flute) with wife (bodhran), Johnny (accordion), Colleen (singer and tin whistle) Tara (piano) and Martin (drums).
- From the audience were Richard McGettrick, Galway playing tin whistle, and singers Seamus Beirne, Ballaghaderreen; Mike Towey, Dublin; Norrie O’Sullivan, Co Cork; and Anne Gavaghan, Ballaghaderreen who further enhanced the evening with their talent.
- Further, the Ireland attendees taught traditional Irish dancing to their oversea cousins.
Raffle We thank Dan Towey, MN our Chairperson, assisted by Ed and Anne Towey of MN who organized and ran the raffle. A very special thank you to those who donated raffle prizes. It is our only way of paying for the Gathering expenses.
View our 2010 Ceili Social Dance Photos.
Sunday Afternoon, 16 May
The AGM meeting was held in Durkin’s at 3:00 p.m.
Executive Committee Election:
Chairperson……………….Edward Towey, Deephaven, MN: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chairperson…………Dan Towey, Blaine MN: email@example.com
Secretary……………………Janet Towey Mann, Southbury, CT: Deceased Sept. 12, 2011
Assistant Secretary…………Caroline Hassett Power, Quin, Co. Clare, Ire:
Treasurer…………………..Patrick Hassett, Shannon, Co. Clare, Ire: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Treasurer……..Patrick Burns, Gig Harbor, WA: email@example.com
Assistant Genealogist….Dick Towey, Corvallis, OR
Webmaster………………. Bill Towey, Stockton, CA: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Webmaster….Michael Towey, Dublin: email@example.com
Committee Members..Eileen Collins, Birmingham, UK: firstname.lastname@example.org
………………………………..Michael Towey, Liverpool, UK: email@example.com
………………………………..Timothy Towey, Newport, RI: firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuing AGM Program
- A presentation was made by Dick Towey, Clan Genealogist (Oregon), about male yDNA and female mtDNA and their tests. See web page Male yDna and Female mtDna testing
- Bill Towey of California presented proposed changes to the www.toweyclan.com and requested improvement suggestions from all Towey Clan members
- The Clan General Meeting concluded at almost 4:30 p.m.
Grateful thanks are extended to all members who worked so hard up front and behind the scenes to make the event a memorable occasion.
The Saturday Ceili celebrations were recorded on DVD by Mr Tom Coppinger. Contact Tom at TomCoppinger@eircom.net or telephone 0872255408/(09498)60481
More 2010 Gathering photos from Clan members may be seen at: https://goo.gl/photos/W5zAqoaF73V8WLWx6